** Changed in: cdparanoia (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to cdparanoia in Ubuntu.

  CD drive spins at maximum speed when playing CD

Status in “cdparanoia” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “rhythmbox” package in Fedora:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: rhythmbox

  When I play an audio CD in Rhythmbox, the CD drives spins up to
  maximum speed, causing serious noise. This is very disturbing,
  especially since the lowest speed is enough for CD playback. I can
  force it to 1x speed using 'sudo hdparm -E 1 /dev/scd0' but this only
  lasts until I put in another CD. IMO, Rhythmbox should manage this
  better. I've checked a couple of other apps (soundjuicer, gnome-cd)
  and they seem to suffer from the same bug. Probably it's not a problem
  in rhythmbox, but somewhere lower in the chain, maybe gstreamer or
  even linux. Please redirect if appropriate.