   Make libpq multi-arch capable

Packages, which is subscribed to postgresql-9.1 in Ubuntu.

  please add multiarch support for libpq-dev for cross-compiling

Status in “postgresql-9.1” package in Ubuntu:

  I use libpq-dev:amd64 and libpq-dev:i386 on the same system to support
  compiling and cross-compiling software using gcc.  But these packages
  cannot be installed on the same machine under 12.04.  Instead I get
  this:

     The following packages will be REMOVED:
       comerr-dev krb5-multidev libkrb5-dev libpq-dev libpq5 libssl-dev
postgresql-client-9.1

  If I attempt to force both packages to be installed, I am told it is not
allowed.

  I am not able to find any workaround at this time.  Tips are welcome.

  # apt-get install libpq-dev:i386  libpq-dev
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  libpq-dev is already the newest version.
  or been moved out of Incoming.

   libpq-dev : Conflicts: libpq-dev:i386 but 9.1.4-0ubuntu12.04 is to be
installed
   libpq-dev:i386 : Depends: libpq5:i386 (= 9.1.4-0ubuntu12.04) but it is not
going to be installed
                    Depends: libssl-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libkrb5-dev:i386 but it is not going to be
installed
                    Depends: comerr-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                    Conflicts: libpq-dev but 9.1.4-0ubuntu12.04 is to be
installed

  # apt-get install libpq-dev:i386

  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
required:
    libgssrpc4 libssl-doc libkadm5clnt-mit8 libkadm5srv-mit8 libkdb5-6
    comerr-dev:i386 krb5-multidev:i386 libkrb5-dev:i386 libpq5:i386
libssl-dev:i386
  Suggested packages:
    doc-base:i386 krb5-doc:i386 postgresql-doc-9.1:i386
  Recommended packages:
    libssl-doc:i386
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    comerr-dev krb5-multidev libkrb5-dev libpq-dev libpq5 libssl-dev
postgresql-client-9.1
    comerr-dev:i386 krb5-multidev:i386 libkrb5-dev:i386 libpq-dev:i386
libpq5:i386 libssl-dev:i386
  0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 7 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
  Need to get 0 B/1,908 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 4,073 kB disk space will be freed.
  Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

  Package: libpq-dev 9.1.4-0ubuntu12.04
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Wed Aug  8 17:01:43 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
   TERM=xterm