   Internal volumes   are now requiring authenication to mount, or unmount

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-privileges in Ubuntu.

  regression: local admin not authorized for many tasks

Status in “gnome-disk-utility” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “udisks2” package in Ubuntu:

  With 12.10 it looks like gnome-disk-utility has moved to using udisks2
  behind the scenes.  However, it appears that polkit entries were not
  created for most of the potential actions that can be taken within
  gnome-disks.  Many of the actions result in an error like the
  following:

  An error occured

  Not authorized to perform operation (udisks-error-quark, 4)

  I've received the above error when trying to use gnome-disks start a
  benchmark of a volume. This worked fine under 12.04 (via the gnome-
  disks precursor palimpsest and udisks).

  Digging into this, it appears that there are a total of 38 possible
  polkit actions and local admins are only authorized by default for a
  total of three of them (via 10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla):

  org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system
  org.freedesktop.udisks2.encrypted-unlock-system
  org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-fstab

  Contrast this with the authorization for the previous udisk activities:
  org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-*
  org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-ata-smart*

  Which covers 10 actions from what I can see.

  For parity with previous releases I believe the following actions also need
to be authorized for local admins:
  org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount [1]
  org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-unmount-others [1]
  org.freedesktop.udisks2.ata-smart-* [2]

  I'm sure there are others as there doesn't appear to be a direct 1:1
  translation for some of the permissions.

  This is a regression with regard to the previous 12.04 release and
  what local admin users were authorized to do.

  [1] - covered previously by org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-*
  [2]- covered previously by org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-ata-smart*

  Package: gnome-disk-utility 3.6.1-0ubuntu1
  Date: Sat Oct 20 14:45:17 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-disk-utility
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-12 (8 days ago)