I don't understand why bug #539477 has been fixed at the cost of an
unknown but definitely unaffected majority of users who don't use
hardware that implemented strange Microsoft standards.

I hope it's possible to revert the fix for #539477 and commit a new fix
that is less intervening. What about adding an option to the keyboard
settings in Gnome Control Center?

Since I extensively use <Super> in combination with several keys (read:
letters), "p" being only one out of many, I patched gnome-settings-
daemon by removing the <Super>p shortcut, and created my own deb
package.

Though I could refrain from using <Super>p, I can't prevent my fingers
from accidentally hitting said shortcut.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Regression: patch to bug 539477 breaks Super+P keybindings

Status in Gnome Settings Daemon:
  Won't Fix
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-settings-daemon

  The current patch to bug 539477 breaks the super+p keybinding for all
  user applications when running gnone-settings-daemon. This behavior is
  hard-coded, not discoverable, and not configurable.

  The "workaround" is to disable parts of xrandr such that screen
  switching is no longer possible.

  The patch has been checked in and released as a bugfix to Ubuntu
  10.10, causing regressions in several applications.

  For more details, see
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/539477/
  particularly
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/539477/comments/68