oshunluvr: If you're still seeing this bug, please open a new bug, and
add a comment here with the bug number (and mention this bug in your new
bug).

In your new bug please state the model/make of the card reader you're
using (include the output of  lsusb if USB attached).

Dave

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  sd card "safely remove drive" kills reader device

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gvfs

  Ubunto 9.10 on amd64
  I mount an sd card in my internal media reader. All works normally until I do
"safely remove drive" which unmounts the drive but also kills the media reader.
The light gos out on media reader and no  other sd cards will work until
reboot. Drive worked fine until last couple of weeks.
  lsusb reports the media reader is
  Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash
Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
  If I open a terminal and umount /media/disk the drive still is available for
the next sd card.

  Date: Thu Jan  7 14:11:58 2010
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release Candidate amd64
(20091020.3)
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Package: gvfs 1.4.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-17.54-generic
  SourcePackage: gvfs
  Symptom: storage