Jockey  has been superseded by software-properties, which now handles
third-party driver configuration.


** Changed in: jockey (Ubuntu Lucid)
       Status: New => Invalid

** Changed in: jockey (Ubuntu)
       Status: New => Invalid

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/564633

Title:
  system-config-printer: make driver installation optional

Status in “jockey” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “system-config-printer” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “jockey” source package in Lucid:
  Invalid
Status in “system-config-printer” source package in Lucid:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: system-config-printer

  Configuring a new printer is awfully painful in Lucid :-(

  (1) I just tried to configure my PostScript network printer (a Kyocera
  FS1800+, correctly identified in the first step of system-config-
  printer).

  (2) In the next step, jockey-gtk starts to search for drivers. After
  quite a while, it offers a list of ca. 35 drivers (!?). Neither does
  jockey-gtk mark the relevant one (I have a Kyocera printer,
  remember?), nor does it even sort this list. OK, I painfully scroll
  through the list, hunting for the Kyocera driver and selecting it. Now
  I 'activate' the driver. Activating obviously means installing - so
  why don't name this button 'Install driver'?

  Installing takes full 2 minutes (fast internet connection, 2,4 GHz
  Dual Core Desktop CPU, 6 GB RAM). (jockey-backend runs at 100 % CPU
  during the whole time, completly exhausting one of my two cores. What
  does it do, in gods name?)

  (3) Next, I have to 'Close' the driver dialog. I don't want to close,
  I want to continue! Whatever.

  Next, I get again (!) the choice to select a driver. Out of some 80
  manufactures (my printer is still a Kyocera, remember?), out of
  hundreds of models. OK, I understand, previously I *installed* driver
  (though the dialog said I activated one), no I *select* one.

  No Ubuntu beginner will ever understand what he/she had done now and
  why it was so complicated. Installing the same printer on Mac OS X
  (which also uses CUPS!) is done within 30 seconds and with a few mouse
  clicks.

  PS: Now comes the fun part. On another Lucid test installation (I am
  book author and have been writing books on Ubuntu since 5.04) I choose
  *not* to install any driver, completely dropping step (2) from above.
  And guess what: The printer configuration still works. (I thought it
  would, I never had to install any drivers to use my printer.)

  To get back to this bug report:

  - please sort the drivers in jockey
  - please make the driver installation optional and clearly say so

  What happened to Ubuntu's printer configuration? This is a huge step
  back!

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/564633/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to