I'm having a similar issue...I believe....my monitor goes blank after a
certain time and doesn't turn back on....I looked up the error
"drm:intel_dp_complete_link_train] *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting"
and that brough me here....I've attached my dmesg output.....that output
is *after* I turn the monitor back on from a dead state.

As far as I can tell no output is generated right before the blanking of
the monitor.

** Attachment added: "dmesg.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1189639/+attachment/3753950/+files/dmesg.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  [dp] External Screen doesn't wake up from sleep

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon with an external screen connected to a Mini DP to
VGA adapter. External screen works fine until the display goes to sleep for
inactivity (just the display goes to sleep, not the laptop).
  When I return to the laptop, the built in screen wakes but the external
screen does not. The screen is still detected, xrandr displays the resolution
and I can move the cursor to the external display but the display remains off.
  I have tried cycling with Fn+F7 and also tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7.
The only way to get the external display back on is by disconnecting the
adapter from the laptops DP port and reconnecting.

  dmesg produces:
  drm:intel_dp_complete_link_train] *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting

  Running
  Release:      13.04
  kernel 3.8.0-23-generic
  xserver-xorg-video-intel:
    Installed: 2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4

  As a workaround I have disabled the monitor from sleeping in System
Settings->Brightness & Lock-> Turn Screen off when inactive for