Please add this machine to the list impacted:

Malibal Veda P180HM , aka Clevo P180HM , aka Sager np8180  (other rebranded 
flavors of this model also exist).  
RealTek ALC892 internal speakers fail to show up in sound-settings; 
instead the not-plugged-in iec598 aka S/PDIF output becomes default-sink. 

Using the workaround from comment#32 corrects the trouble for my
hardware.  I have composed a brief shell-script which I believe can be
cut-n-pasted into the xterm, rather than having folks perform manual
editing.  Worked for me on 12.04.3 with all updates but I have only
tested it on this one machine.  David, or other canonical employee, if
this looks useful you might consider pasting it into the intro at the
top, or as an addendum to comment#32.


BEGIN_CUT_N_PASTE_BLOCK_HERE


aplay /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-
mic.conf

cp                           
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf   
~/tmpUspapaos.bak 
grep -v "required-any = any" 
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf > 
~/tmpUspapaos.conf 
sudo cp ~/tmpUspapaos.conf   
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf 
grep    "required-any = any" 
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf 

cp                           
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf   
~/tmpUspapaiim.bak 
grep -v "required-any = any" 
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf > 
~/tmpUspapaiim.conf 
sudo cp ~/tmpUspapaiim.conf  
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf 
grep    "required-any = any" 
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf 

ps aux | grep pulse | grep -v grep
pulseaudio -k
ps aux | grep pulse | grep -v grep

aplay /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-
mic.conf


FINIS_CUT_N_PASTE_BLOCK_HERE


In my particular case, the symptoms were not exactly as described, from
what I can garner.  I installed 12.04 from LiveUSB a couple months ago,
and had no audio-playback (except in the bootloader via grub's play-
command) until I had updated to 12.04.2 -- after which I was able to
hear the drum-sound at the login-screen that appears immediately after
boot.

However, once into the desktop, I was not able to accomplish playback.
When I would open up sound-settings from the taskbar (aka "gnome-
control-panel sound-nua" under the hood), the only listed internal
speakers were S/PDIF output.  The laptop does have an spdif-out-jack,
but nothing was plugged into it.  Clicking on most any of the buttons in
sound-settings would cause the not-even-plugged-in spdif-out-jack to
become the default audio-sink.  So to be clear, I did not plug in
external speakers or headphones or microphones -- there were no internal
speakers in the list provided by sound-settings, from what I can tell
(ever at any time).

I believe following the instructions of step#1A over here helped --
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure --
because when I executed    killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.config/pulse/* ;
rm -r ~/.pulse*      then counted to fifty then rebooted, I was able to
achieve mp3 playback in rhythmbox.  There were still no external
speakers listed in sound-settings, and any time I messed with sound-
settings it would change my default speakers from the (invisible to it)
internal speakers to the spdif-out-jack, necessitating a reboot.  From
the instructions in this thread, I have determined that it is possible
to perform pulseaudio -k , as opposed to rebooting, which corrects this
particular problem reliably, at least.

As previously mentioned, applying the tip from comment#32 fixes my
problem -- I now see 'built-in audio' internal speakers within sound-
settings.  I also applied the microphone related workaround, although I
do not know whether or not my box suffers from that difficulty (I do not
use an external mic at the moment).

While I was fiddling with trying to debug this vexing problem, I did
find the following indicator which reliably told me when I had lost my
default speakers, and switched over to outputting sound to the non-
existent spdif-connected-hardware.  When I first logged in, I would run
this command:

lsmod | grep -P "^snd_hda_intel"

and then make a note of the UsedBy number in the third column, typically
the numeral five.  Once I lost my audio, due to fiddling with sound-
settings, I would instead see numeral six (the spdif endpoint
presumably).  Running the killall workaround would put the number back
at five where it was originally, and audio would work for a bit
thereafter.

p.s.  This was a dastardly difficult problem to track down.  There are a
couple things I would suggest for David and/or some other Ubuntu
employee with commit access, to help endusers over this hump.  First of
all, a simple fix, pleas list the audio-chipsets in this bug, not just
the model-names of the computers.  Clevo P180Hm w/ RealTek ALC892, in my
particular hardware.  Most forums recommend that you search for your
audio-chipset, not for your model-and-vendor, but this bug does not show
up thataway currently.

Second, because in at least some cases (mine for one) the bug manifests
itself as refusing to display valid information, it was difficult for me
to figure out what was going on.  It did not dawn on me that my sound-
settings applet might be lying to me about what hardware was avaialble
for output and input, until *quite* a lenghthy struggle had already
passed.  I realize that pushing functional changes into LTS releases is
frowned upon, of course.... but as David's SRU points out, this is quite
the maddening bug, which intermittently prevents listening to music,
voice-chat, and other Gotta-Work-All-The-Time features.  I'm suspicious
that there are plenty of folks out there that *know* their audio is
busted, and either change distros -- I ran across at least three such
cases with just ALC892 hardware alone in the forums -- or live with the
problem.  My suggestion is this:  push an update to gnome-control-panel
(or whatever package contains the ubuntu sound-settings dialog-box), and
modify one of the text-labels on the Output Tab and the Input Tab, to
alert endusers there is a fix for their pain.  Something quite brief,
like the following, would suffice:

Do not see your speakers?    (with a hyperlink that takes them to this 
bug-report)
Do not see your microphone?  (again with the hyperlink) 

These would need to be translated, and verified to fit in the available
pixel-real-estate of the dialogbox in question, but methinks it could be
done without violating the spirit of an LTS release.  Failing that,
backporting David's 3.6 kernel fixes to the 3.5.0.41-series that is
currently in use with 12.04.3 seems the only way to fix the root cause.
In any case, thanks to David for his hard work, and thanks to others for
helping me solve my local difficulties.  Glad I finally have reliable
audio.

** Attachment added: "output of script from alsa-project.org , with bug in play 
(audio-out going to unplugged-spdif-jack)"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/946232/+attachment/3856405/+files/alsaInfoWhenAudioPlaybackFailing.txt

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/946232

Title:
  [Meta-bug] Missing speaker and/or internal mic port

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “pulseaudio” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  ==== Read me first ====

  If you're suffering from one of the following problems:

   1) In the sound settings dialog, when you plug your headphones into
  the designated 3.5 mm jack, there is a "Headphones" device correctly
  shown, but when you unplug it, there is no "Speaker" device shown,
  even though you have internal speakers on your computer.

   2) In the sound settings dialog, when you plug your external
  microphone into the designated 3.5 mm jack, there is a "Microphone"
  (or similar) device correctly shown, but when you unplug it, there is
  no "Internal Mic" device shown, even though you have an internal mic
  on your computer.

  If so, please try the workaround in comment #32. IF AND ONLY IF that
  is working for you, please attach alsa info (see
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo ) to this bug, together with
  the name of your machine (e g "Dell Latitude D620"). I'll try to
  include it in a list of devices that we have to manually enable and
  release it as an update to 12.04.

  Thanks! - and sorry for causing the bug in the first place :-/

  // David Henningsson

  ====

  The following machines are known to be affected (no more alsa-info
  needed) :

  # Acer AOA150
  # Acer Aspire 4810TZ
  # Acer Aspire 1810TZ
  # Packard bell dot m/a
  # Acer AOD260, AO532h
  # Dell MXC051
  # Dell Inspiron 6400 and E1505
  # Dell Latitude D620
  # Dell Latitude D820
  # Dell Latitude D520
  # Dell Latitude D420
  # Dell Inspiron 1525
  # Dell Inspiron 1011
  # Dell XPS 14 (L401X)
  # Dell XPS 15 (L501X)
  # Dell XPS 15 (L502X)
  # Asus 904HA (1000H)
  # Asus T101MT
  # Sony Vaio VGN-SR21M
  # Sony Vaio VPC-W115XG
  # Fujitsu Lifebook S7110
  # Fujitsu Lifebook A530
  # Toshiba A200
  # MSI X360
  # Lenovo 3000 Y410

  ====

  ==== SRU Justification ===
  First, sorry if this bug is a bit messy, but I think it would be even more 
messy if I spread the information across several bugs. Here's some explanation:

  The long-term fix is already in Quantal, because we backported the
  "Phantom Jack" support into Ubuntu's 3.5 kernel. Together with that
  comes a small PulseAudio patch, http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  audio-dev/pulseaudio/ubuntu.precise/revision/519/debian/patches/0624
  -alsa-mixer-Add-Phantom-Jack-support.patch - the reason I want this in
  12.04 is to provide a better experience for users running the quantal
  kernel on precise, i e, the backport kernel coming with 12.04.2.

  In addition to that, while doing an SRU I could just as well add a few
  more quirks for affected machines showing up after the previous SRU,
  so that is now done in http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-
  dev/pulseaudio/ubuntu.precise/revision/520/debian/patches/0625-alsa-
  mixer-Add-a-few-more-machines-to-internal-mic-w.patch

  [Impact]
  Several laptops (see above list) are missing mostly internal mics, but 
sometimes also speakers in the Sound Settings / PulseAudio. This leads to an 
inability to control volume for these devices, and often not being able to use 
them at all.

  [Test Case]
  * Have an affected machine
  * Notice that when your mic is unplugged, the "internal mic" is correctly 
shown in the sound settings

  [Regression Potential]
  The quirk-style fix only affects the machines above. The long-term fix 
affects only users of a newer (quantal or later) kernel.

  ====

  I have an DELL Inspiron 6400. As it seems ubuntu precise beta1 thinks it
  has a digital ouput. In the audio settings it says Play sound through:
  »Digital Output (S/PDIF)«

  As you can see there → 
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/specs.htm#wp1054816
  it has no S/PDIF output.

  The audio Settings doesn't let me change the mode.
  Sometime the system sets the mode to »Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output« but
  the drop-down list menu is grayed out so I can't change it.

  If I plug in and out my headphones the system changes the mode to  »Analog 
Stereo Output«
  and I can hear Sound again.

  If you need more Information please let me know.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-17.27-generic-pae 3.2.6
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-17-generic-pae i686
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  ApportVersion: 1.94-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  achim      2281 F.... pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xefebc000 irq 43'
     Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9200'
     Components : 'HDA:83847690,102801bd,00102201 
HDA:14f12bfa,14f100c3,00090000'
     Controls      : 14
     Simple ctrls  : 7
  Date: Sun Mar  4 11:14:53 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120301)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Intel successful
  Symptom_Card: Eingebautes Audio - HDA Intel
  Symptom_Jack: Black SPDIF Out, Rear
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: No sound at all
  Title: [MM061, SigmaTel STAC9200, Black SPDIF Out, Rear] No sound at all
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 06/13/2007
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A17
  dmi.board.name: 0KD882
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA17:bd06/13/2007:svnDellInc.:pnMM061:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0KD882:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: MM061
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
  ---
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  achim      1740 F.... pulseaudio
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120301)
  Package: alsa-driver (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-20.32-generic-pae 3.2.12
  Tags:  precise
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-20-generic-pae i686
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  dmi.bios.date: 06/13/2007
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A17
  dmi.board.name: 0KD882
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA17:bd06/13/2007:svnDellInc.:pnMM061:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0KD882:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: MM061
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/946232/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to