"but I don't get why you're trying to play back a configuration file..."

Greetings, David -- yes, I was piping a textfile to the speakers, just to 
generate some noise (and prove whether they were working).  One can omit 
those lines, or replace them with aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav 
but my favorite is this alternative -- espeak "I'll be back" 
The advantage of using aplay with a *known* filename (in the context of 
my script) is there are no dependencies; that's the reason behind it. 

"just running a 3.5+ ubuntu kernel (or 3.6+ upstream kernel) 
fixes this bug completely" 

Can you please put that in the read-me-first description?  I actually 
looked for just such a phrase.  I realize that it says FixReleased for 
Precise at the top, but the comments are confusing... you talk about 
backporting to the 3.5 kernel, but you also specify that as Quantal, 
then go on to mention that you *want* it in 12.04.2 -- without ever 
coming right out and saying that it in fact now is in 12.04.3 (and .2?). 
I suggest this sentence:  "If you're suffering from... 1)... 2)... The 
easiest fix is to update your system to the latest 12.04.3+ updates, or 
alternatively a 12.10-or-later installation.  If you have done so and 
still have problems, the workaround in comment#32 sometimes helps, but 
whether it does or not, please file a separate launchpad bug." 

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1236965
I have filed another bug for my specific issues over here. 

As to the more general issue of making audio not suck:

"Over 80% of audio bugs, including this one, are specific to the codec
*configuration*, which is usually best described with the PCI SSID
number or vendor+model. Bugs specific to a codec (Realtek ALC892) or
controller chip (Intel ICH6) are much less common."

Well... I have a relatively rare motherboard SSID... but still....

(alsa OR pulseaudio) ("alc 892" OR "alc892")    ==>>  94 hits 
(alsa OR pulseaudio) ("1558:8000" OR "15588000" OR "0x15588000")    ==>>  zero 
hits 

Some rough back-of-the-browser calculations suggest that using the SSID 
as a key to debugging audio problems is rare, at the moment.  Maybe it 
makes sense to start using it?  If enough ubuntu people are aware of the 
SSID connection, and use it to debug their audio-related-difficulties, 
then launchpad search results specific to your motherboard or videocard 
would be much easier to locate.  I'll go ahead and paste my SSID stuff 
here, into the bug... making my comment the NUMBER ONE HIT when googling. 
Not that I'm bragging or anything -- humble to the core, that's me.  :-) 

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/SameHardware 
(explains which portions of the output below are pci_vid and pci_ssid.) 

$ cat /proc/asound/card*/codec#* | grep --before-context=4 --after-context=1 
"Subsystem Id" 
Codec: Realtek ALC892
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0892
Subsystem Id: 0x15588000
Revision Id: 0x100302
--
Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x1002aa01
Subsystem Id: 0x00aa0100
Revision Id: 0x100200

$ lspci -vvnn | grep --after-context=1 "Audio device"
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset 
Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device [1558:8000]
--
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Barts HDMI 
Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series] [1002:aa88]
        Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device [1558:8000]

The webpage suggests manually *reading* through the output of these 
commands, hunting the ssid buried therein.  I've added some grep to the 
commands, which reliably extracts the info... on English installs only. 
Won't work if your system is German/Japanese/Esperanto/other.  I would 
modify the "wikipage" to show this trick, but it is immutable (sigh). 

A cleaner way to get these numbers: should there be a debug-tab in the 
sound-settings dialog-box, which gives the average enduser their specific 
SSID info, plus a ClickHereToCopyAlsaInfoReportToClipboard gui button? 
Let me rephrase that -- there *should* be such a thing.  Do you feel 
like implementing it?  If not, care to point me in the right direction? 
Reply via email if you wish. 


'J wrote:  _Do not see your microphone?  (again with the hyperlink)_' 
"This backporting has already been done. ...I think this bug is 
not that much of an issue any more." 

Sure, what you say is true.  But this bug WAS a problem, in the past.  
And my new bug, which I will file a separate bug report concerning, 
is also a problem.  With the exact same symptoms.  My point is, the 
current sound-settings GUI does not give the average enduser any clue 
when something is *wrong*.  This can be a mismatch between what the 
pulseaudio layer believes is true versus what the alsa layer believes 
is true, or an assumption about hardware, or whatever.  Yes, yes, I 
fully agree that the best approach is to fix the bugs at their root.  
I'd *also* like to have a dynamically-auto-updated helpstring in the 
sound-settings dialog-box, plus a debug-tab, to help speed that up.  

In my situation, I *knew* the box had internal speakers... but 
I did not know that pulseaudio could fail to recognize them!  They 
were showing up in alsamixer, after all.  Then, to report the bug, 
I had to figure out how to generate alsa-info, and all that jazz.  
Not impossible... but not very easy, either.  I'm savvy, so the hard 
part for me was figuring out what the heck was going on.  The only 
reason I finally stumbled across this bug-report, with the workaround 
that helped my issue, is because I read your 2011 paper on the design 
of the alsa stack, and noticed it said you were planning to make some 
changes to pulseaudio that would HIDE DEVICES, and then plugged your 
name plus pulseaudio into the interwebs... this bug report is hit#2. 

:-)

Obviously, that is *not* the preferred way to debug audio.  I see 
that you wrote a nice blog post about six months ago, on how NOT to 
debug audio.  I saw plenty of advice to fiddle with model-strings, 
hand-compile ALSA drivers, purge pulseaudio.  *Modern* advice, not 
just the older advice still hanging around to fallback to OSS. 

http://web.archive.org/web/20121007001709/http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2012/07/13/top-five-wrong-ways-to-fix-your-audio/
(Side note -- your blog shows up blank in Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04.3 
when visiting the URL directly... maybe I should file this bug also?
Blogtext is visible here -- http://voices.canonical.com/user/128/ -- 
but comments are only visible in archive.org, and not for all posts.) 

But where is your post saying what *to* do in order to debug audio? 
This official helpdoc is definitely not at all what I'm after -- 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems 
It tells me to manually verify whether things are muted.  Doesn't pulse 
audio already know that?  It tells me to manually verify whether things 
are plugged in.  Doesn't jack-sense already tell us that?  It tells me 
that my first step, if I *think* that I possibly *might* have an audio 
bug, is to run ubuntu-bug -s audio ... skipping DIY troubleshooting, 
skipping volunteer-forum-support, and going straight to the devteam. 
That all seems wrong to me.  We have eclipse/xdebug/gdb for debugging 
buggy code.  Where is the visual equivalent for debugging buggy audio? 

You mention in the comments on your post that it is difficult to 
DTRT in the audio world, because there is so much hardware diversity 
(my own case with "unusual hardware" being a clear example of same). 
What I'm suggesting is that, because of the inherent problem that the 
audio stack is complex, and the buggy^H^H^H^H^H diverse hardware drivers 
are seemingly endless, we are *guaranteed* to have people suffering from 
audio bugs, until and unless ubuntu bug#1 is really and truly resolved. 
I don't see much hope for ending binary-blob drivers, and even worse, 
binary-blob firmware, in the next five years.  I do see that ubuntu is 
trying valiantly to increase the number of Linux devices in both the 
desktop and the mobile space, during the next five years.  Conclusion, 
the audio stack will be buggier than ever, no matter how hard you try 
to DTRT in your code.  (btw I fully sympathize with you here... fixing 
the way pulseaudio deals with aggregating alsamixer into a clean gui 
interface was totally necessary... but this bug was *bound* to happen) 

So, instead of putting the focus on trying to make the audio DTRT in an 
endlessly-changing sea of buggy hardware, I suggest we put some effort 
into making the debugging of audio problems far more straightforward. 

So endeth the rant.  Sorry to overflow your inbox.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/946232

Title:
  [Meta-bug] Missing speaker and/or internal mic port

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “pulseaudio” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  ==== Read me first ====

  If you're suffering from one of the following problems:

   1) In the sound settings dialog, when you plug your headphones into
  the designated 3.5 mm jack, there is a "Headphones" device correctly
  shown, but when you unplug it, there is no "Speaker" device shown,
  even though you have internal speakers on your computer.

   2) In the sound settings dialog, when you plug your external
  microphone into the designated 3.5 mm jack, there is a "Microphone"
  (or similar) device correctly shown, but when you unplug it, there is
  no "Internal Mic" device shown, even though you have an internal mic
  on your computer.

  If so, please try the workaround in comment #32. IF AND ONLY IF that
  is working for you, please attach alsa info (see
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo ) to this bug, together with
  the name of your machine (e g "Dell Latitude D620"). I'll try to
  include it in a list of devices that we have to manually enable and
  release it as an update to 12.04.

  Thanks! - and sorry for causing the bug in the first place :-/

  // David Henningsson

  ====

  The following machines are known to be affected (no more alsa-info
  needed) :

  # Acer AOA150
  # Acer Aspire 4810TZ
  # Acer Aspire 1810TZ
  # Packard bell dot m/a
  # Acer AOD260, AO532h
  # Dell MXC051
  # Dell Inspiron 6400 and E1505
  # Dell Latitude D620
  # Dell Latitude D820
  # Dell Latitude D520
  # Dell Latitude D420
  # Dell Inspiron 1525
  # Dell Inspiron 1011
  # Dell XPS 14 (L401X)
  # Dell XPS 15 (L501X)
  # Dell XPS 15 (L502X)
  # Asus 904HA (1000H)
  # Asus T101MT
  # Sony Vaio VGN-SR21M
  # Sony Vaio VPC-W115XG
  # Fujitsu Lifebook S7110
  # Fujitsu Lifebook A530
  # Toshiba A200
  # MSI X360
  # Lenovo 3000 Y410

  ====

  ==== SRU Justification ===
  First, sorry if this bug is a bit messy, but I think it would be even more 
messy if I spread the information across several bugs. Here's some explanation:

  The long-term fix is already in Quantal, because we backported the
  "Phantom Jack" support into Ubuntu's 3.5 kernel. Together with that
  comes a small PulseAudio patch, http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  audio-dev/pulseaudio/ubuntu.precise/revision/519/debian/patches/0624
  -alsa-mixer-Add-Phantom-Jack-support.patch - the reason I want this in
  12.04 is to provide a better experience for users running the quantal
  kernel on precise, i e, the backport kernel coming with 12.04.2.

  In addition to that, while doing an SRU I could just as well add a few
  more quirks for affected machines showing up after the previous SRU,
  so that is now done in http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-
  dev/pulseaudio/ubuntu.precise/revision/520/debian/patches/0625-alsa-
  mixer-Add-a-few-more-machines-to-internal-mic-w.patch

  [Impact]
  Several laptops (see above list) are missing mostly internal mics, but 
sometimes also speakers in the Sound Settings / PulseAudio. This leads to an 
inability to control volume for these devices, and often not being able to use 
them at all.

  [Test Case]
  * Have an affected machine
  * Notice that when your mic is unplugged, the "internal mic" is correctly 
shown in the sound settings

  [Regression Potential]
  The quirk-style fix only affects the machines above. The long-term fix 
affects only users of a newer (quantal or later) kernel.

  ====

  I have an DELL Inspiron 6400. As it seems ubuntu precise beta1 thinks it
  has a digital ouput. In the audio settings it says Play sound through:
  »Digital Output (S/PDIF)«

  As you can see there → 
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/specs.htm#wp1054816
  it has no S/PDIF output.

  The audio Settings doesn't let me change the mode.
  Sometime the system sets the mode to »Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output« but
  the drop-down list menu is grayed out so I can't change it.

  If I plug in and out my headphones the system changes the mode to  »Analog 
Stereo Output«
  and I can hear Sound again.

  If you need more Information please let me know.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-17.27-generic-pae 3.2.6
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-17-generic-pae i686
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  ApportVersion: 1.94-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  achim      2281 F.... pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xefebc000 irq 43'
     Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9200'
     Components : 'HDA:83847690,102801bd,00102201 
HDA:14f12bfa,14f100c3,00090000'
     Controls      : 14
     Simple ctrls  : 7
  Date: Sun Mar  4 11:14:53 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120301)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Intel successful
  Symptom_Card: Eingebautes Audio - HDA Intel
  Symptom_Jack: Black SPDIF Out, Rear
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: No sound at all
  Title: [MM061, SigmaTel STAC9200, Black SPDIF Out, Rear] No sound at all
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 06/13/2007
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A17
  dmi.board.name: 0KD882
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA17:bd06/13/2007:svnDellInc.:pnMM061:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0KD882:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: MM061
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
  ---
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  achim      1740 F.... pulseaudio
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120301)
  Package: alsa-driver (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-20.32-generic-pae 3.2.12
  Tags:  precise
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-20-generic-pae i686
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  dmi.bios.date: 06/13/2007
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A17
  dmi.board.name: 0KD882
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA17:bd06/13/2007:svnDellInc.:pnMM061:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0KD882:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: MM061
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/946232/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to