Hi
Some news
For the purpose of another bug report I was required to test a mainline
kernel... then I forgot it.
Yesterday night I hibernated the laptop, and this morning, on thaw, I forgot
(again) to select from grub the standard kernel I was working in yesterday
(3.8.0-31) so I lost my session. Hopefully, regards to firefox and libreoffice
session restore, not all was lost. There apport suggested to report a bug, and
I was ready to do it when the popup reminded me this was related to the
mainline kernel, so I discarded the submission.
So I decided to remove the mainline test kernel (sudo apt-get purge
linux-image-3.12.0-031200rc3-generic).
On reboot, this 1200359 bug happened again: black screen with only the mouse
arrow, and switching to tty1 showing the characters loggin prompt ***and*** the
mouse cursor, in which I didn't login.
Switch back to tty7 and blindly logged in OK.
Then, just to see, switched back to tty1~6: all 6 seemed to show OK (but tty1
still showing the mouse arrow and a message stating something about system
update is OK and waiting for an acquitting Enter strike, and then a blinking
prompt undescore somewhere in the middle of the screen), but all tty
automatically switch me back to tty7 after a very short 3-4 second amount of
time. Althougth I reached to login a tty (don't remember which one) but it
still auto switched me to tty7. Although again with some difficulty, I reached
to quickly switch to the said ttyN and send an exit command before I was sent
back to tty7.
Then I rebooted and now all I working OK, no blank black screen, no auto-switch.
This makes me think both to the grub mechanism that keeps the menu on screen
when a crash happened or maybe to the tempo I set in /etc/default/grub.
I will attach the file.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Double logging a single time (tty1 +tty7)

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  I got a dell xps322x installed with latest 13.04 i386-64 and updates
  which made several times the following behaviour: I made changes that
  requiered a reboot (clone image to ssd or e.g. unbind Unity-greeter
  wallpaper from users' personnal desktop one).

  On boot I got a black screen with a blinking cursor top-left and... an orphan
mouse cursor crying where to clic (black screen).
  So I try switching tty1~6 with Ctrl+Alt+F1~6, back to tty7 still black, so go
back to tty1 and type in creds which opens the terminal OK, then switch to tty7
which I find opened !!!!
  PS: the orphan mouse cursor was visible in all tty !

  Don't know howto reproduce, and I can't tell if closing/locking one
  session does the same to the other. If this happens again I'll check
  this and report here.

  Feel free to change the target package.

  Thanks for Ubuntu