I have the same problem since upgrade to 13.10, except that in my case
it happens randomly (so far, about once every two boots). Note thate the
problem isn't present on the login screen, only after starting Unity.
Haven't tried other DEs.

I have only one keyboard setup set, which is french (AZERTY) and when
the system starts in QWERTY, I have to manually select the french
keyboard that is already selected (and which is the only one listed) in
the new indicator that ships with 13.10.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  on bootup wrong keyboard layout is recognized

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  This is a regression.
  I have two keyboard layouts activated, the Dvorak and the English US. The
Dvorak should be the default keyboard. That is the way I have it set up, and it
 shows up in the task bar on top as En1, which is the Dvorak.
  However, when I start to type, it starts in QUERTY.
  ??
  To correct this, I go to the task bar (where it shows EN1, or Dvorak),
re-select the Dvorak, and then everything is fine.
  ??

  I have another minor problem which should probably go on another bug, but
happened at the same time.
  CTL-ALT-T doesn't bring up the terminal any more. No matter what keyboard I'm
using.

  Package: unity 7.1.1+13.10.20131004-0ubuntu1
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'