I have the problem only with Unity sessions, not with Gnome sessions.
The problem appears at the first login : it disapear if I close and re-
open my session without changing the keyboard selection.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  on bootup wrong keyboard layout is recognized

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  This is a regression.
  I have two keyboard layouts activated, the Dvorak and the English US. The
Dvorak should be the default keyboard. That is the way I have it set up, and it
 shows up in the task bar on top as En1, which is the Dvorak.
  However, when I start to type, it starts in QUERTY.
  ??
  To correct this, I go to the task bar (where it shows EN1, or Dvorak),
re-select the Dvorak, and then everything is fine.
  ??

  I have another minor problem which should probably go on another bug, but
happened at the same time.
  CTL-ALT-T doesn't bring up the terminal any more. No matter what keyboard I'm
using.

  Package: unity 7.1.1+13.10.20131004-0ubuntu1
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'