Ubuntu 13.04 does not seem to be affected by this bug. I think this one
can be closed.

Packages, which is subscribed to metacity in Ubuntu.

  metacity doesn't honor application's raise window call with sloppy
  focus

Status in Coccinella:
  New
Status in Coccinella trunk series:
  New
Status in “metacity” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: metacity

  1) Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty; uname: 2.6.28.9-preempt #1 SMP PREEMPT (homebrew
kernel)
  2)  apt-cache policy metacity
       metacity:
         Installed: 1:2.25.144-0ubuntu2
         Candidate: 1:2.25.144-0ubuntu2
         xorg.conf:
         Section "Extensions"
             Option         "Composite" "False"
         EndSection

  3) Windows which belong to an application and are behind the main application
window should be brought to the front of the window stack when a user uses the
application menu to call the window.
  4) When using sloppy focus in Metacity (/apps/metacity/focus_mode = sloppy in
gconf-editor), if an application gets behind another window from that same
application and if the user accesses the window via some method provided by the
application (ie. through menu) - the window which is behind gets focus but does
_not_ come to the front of the window stack (or in other words does not get
raised). Also, in my case, compositing managers are out of question since I use
3D graphics OpenGL software which does not play well with compositing managers
at all.

  To reproduce one could do the following:
  - launch Firefox
  - click Edit>Preferences
  - click Tools>Error Console
  - click Edit>Preferences
  You will notice that the Preferences window gets focused but stays behind the
Error Console window.
  This results in user having to dig the window either from the panel windows
list or click on the window border/title bar in order to raise it. Within a
production environment this is a show-stopping bug that forces a user to invest
time in researching alternative window managers instead of having a simple
checkbox to turn this "focus stealing prevention" on or off.
  I realise the author of Metacity has probably chosen to _not_ leave an option
to the user but lock it down instead. However I believe Ubuntu should patch
Metacity in order to expose this option for production users so that they don't
have to waste time on installing, setting up and using a non-default window
manager.