I can second what I mentioned elsewhere: This is *not* related to
nouveau. Nor is it related to Compiz effects.

I get these symptoms maybe 10-20 per day: Screen freezes. Music/sound
continues to work. Can move mouse but not click. Keyboard unresponsive.
After maybe 10s the system comes back up.

The hangs are seemingly random. Maybe slightly more likely to happen
when system is under load. But can happen at any given time.

I tried under Xfce, Gnome, and Unity. All environments display the
symptom. And frankly, it's driving me nuts.

(My system is all Intel, with latest Ubuntu 13.10 packages)

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites

Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:

  I have recently, re-installed fresh ubuntu 13.10 distribution release.
  But everything worked fine. until recently i had strange problem of my
display screen getting freezed randomly; but no response to either
mouse/keyboard.
  But i want to point it out; it happens randomly and is not specific ?
  Other day, i had music player playing in background, but screen freezed. but
my music was still running.
  Kindly note, i used multiple monitor setup and same issue of screen freeze
also cropped up.

  I,am not sure, whether it is bug ?

  thanks for the expertise support.