Hi All
The solution from wvengen does work perfectly for me. I also have a macbook pro
5.5 and at the moment I'm running Ubuntu 13.10. My Nvidia Driver at the time of
typing is 304 but I will try 319 soon.
Just install git via: "sudo apt-get install git" if no already done.
Next step is clone the mentioned repo. So type:

git clone https://github.com/guillaumezin/nvidiabl.git

Next step is to install the latest package in the install/deb folder.
First enter the install/deb folder via

cd nvidiabl/install/deb

next is to actually install the driver via

sudo dpkg -i  nvidiabl-dkms_0.85_all.deb

if a newer version (higher number thant 0.85) is available install this one
instead.
After installation has completed one needs to restart and backlight control
does work again :)

Credits go to guillaumezin and wvengen for coding and pointing me to the
solution. I'm very greatfull for your work and pointing me to the
solution after Hours of research.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-313-updates in
Ubuntu.

  no backlight controls with nvidia driver on MacbookPro5,5

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-313-updates” package in Ubuntu:

  With the open source nouveau driver, the backlight control in
  /sys/class/backlight/apple_backlight works. When using the nvidia-313
  driver (313.30-0ubuntu1), it still exists but doesn't work anymore. I
  found no other way to control the brightness setting.