*** This bug is a duplicate of bug 70230 ***
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/70230

Please note, I've submitted the properties bug as a separate issue here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1272446

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1272435

Title:
  Add "show in folder" to context menu of file found by Search

Status in Nautilus:
  Unknown
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  After locating a file using Nautilus's search feature, I'm always
  wanting to know this question:

  Where is this file that Nautilus has found for me?

  When searching for a file, I'm not just trying to find that file, I'm
  also trying to discover the path that the file is located at (for
  future reference). I may decide to move that file to another location,
  if it is not where I want it to be.

  The fact that I've had to do a search for this file, gives great
  likelihood to the fact that (in addition to finding the file) I'm
  wanting to also know WHERE it is. Many file manager's search results,
  alone, do not answer this relevant question.

  You may say, why don't you just click "Properties", from the context
  menu. The problem with this approach, is that, although the dialog
  attempts to indicate the file's location, instead, it only shows the
  first portion of the path-location, cropping off the right portion of
  the path in a manner where the entire path cannot be seen.

  The best approach I've seen for this, in other applications, is to add
  "Show in Folder" to the search-result's context-menu, which opens the
  folder that contains the file and add focus to that file within its
  folder.

  With this one step, now the user has achieved multiple objectives:
  1) He now knows where the file is, in the context of his file system
  2) He is in a perfect position to decide if he wants to move this file 
elsewhere.

  There may not be an immediate demand for this feature, but once
  implemented, I sure that it will become appreciated, relied upon, and
  expected for future generations. I hope to one day see it as a
  standard option in all file search utilities.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu11
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-5.20-generic 3.13.0
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-5-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.13.1-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri Jan 24 11:25:42 2014
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' 
b"['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'owner', 'group', 'permissions', 
'mime_type', 'where']"
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-10-07 (109 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-01-08 (15 days ago)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/1272435/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to