Same here, 32 bit up-to-date (daily updated) 14.04 32 bit on a Lenovo
L520 notebook. I can't type password at lightdm login screen, and not
even able to move up/down (to select user to log in as) with the
keyboard. Just click on the AT icon (without actually selecting anything
from there eg onboard keyboard etc) it fixes the problem and then I can
type password move up/down to select user and of course able to log in
then.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Can't type my password after cold boot

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Can't type my password after cold boot unless I change my keyboard
  layout to next (or change and then re-change to same layout)

  Package: lightdm 1.9.3-0ubuntu1