Same in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

** Tags added: trusty

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  APM settings are not persistent after a reboot

Status in “gnome-disk-utility” package in Ubuntu:

  In order to keep my data storage disks from slowly committing suicide
  by unloading their heads, I have to disable APM for both of them.
  Usually I would be able to do so by putting 'hdparm -B255 -S0
  /dev/sdx*' in /etc/rc.local.

  Since Ubuntu 12.10, Palimpsest has a built-in function to modify APM
  settings if required. Sadly, after a reboot, these settings aren't
  kept. Even though the Palimpsest interface still claims APM is set to
  255, running sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdx* will show the default value of
  128 again. The desired behaviour is hdparm showing 'APM = off', and,
  more importantly, the disks not breaking themselves.

  The only way to keep my disks from dying is by adding

  /dev/sdx* {
        apm = 255
        spindown_time = 0
  }

  to /etc/hdparm.conf, as everything in /etc/rc.local seems to be
  ignored as well. The problem is no different for my SSD, but it
  doesn't make a difference for that one, obviously. Disabling and re-
  enabling the APM settings from Palimpsest does seem to work though,
  but it's impossible to do/remember that after every bootup. And
  forgetting to do so would most likely lead to premature disk failure.

  * 'sdx' is 'sdb' and 'sdc' in my case