> Created attachment 373282
> Removes file association mechanism of firefox and use xdg-open instead
>
> Hi,
>
>   I've made a small patch in order to progress on this issue. It removes
> Firefox file system associations and forces use of xdg-open. I do not think
> this patch is complete since it's not cross-platform, but I really think
> it's a good step in order to solve this problem.
>   There's already a file association mechanism on a Linux Desktop
> environments (Gnome, Kde, Xfce, Lxde, etc, etc). xdg-open is a simple way to
> use it. It simplifies lifes of users, which do not have to choose their
> preferred software twice, it simplifies lifes of integrators, which do not
> have to choose the default for their distributions twice and it simplifies
> source code of Firefox : there's no more need to get a file association
> mechanism compatible with all Linux Desktop environment.
>
>   I don't know who will be a good "requestee" to ask for a review of this
> patch, so I've left the field empty.
>
> Regards,

Your patch only for nsHelperAppDlg.js. It's for dialog of opening file.
But it does not remove Firefox file system associations. And it does not
change it for xdg-open. I just patched nsHelperAppDlg.js in root
omni.ja.

  [MASTER] "Open With" dialog not user-friendly

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “mozilla-thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  When choosing to open a file in Firefox, an "Open With" dialog appears.
  You can choose to save the file or open it with a program from the list.
  However, if the desired program to open the file with is NOT listed, the user
  must navigate the filesystem to /usr/bin (or wherever) and select the
  appropriate program.

  A more user-friendly way would be to list all of the known programs installed
  that are available to open files with, and then have an "Other..." or
  "Advanced..." button for the user who would rather navigate the filesystem.