I'm not sure whether I ever totally figured it out, but I found a fix that
works for me: I created a personalized ".XCompose" file in my /home
directory in which I replaced every "ć" I could find with a "ç". Strangely
some programmes wouldn't accept the new key combinations until I changed
"Language Support > Keyboard Input method system" from "ibus" to "none".
I'm not sure what the relationship is, if there is one, or if after that
point the dissident applications accepted my key combinations or reverted
to some other default, but since making those two changes I've had no
further problems.