It's unlikely to be due a change in the NVIDIA driver, since we (NVIDIA)
have not yet identified a root cause for the touchpad freeze.

As this problem is highly sporadic, and can take several hours in some
cases to reproduce, if it reproduces at all, we should probably wait for
more confirmations that it is no longer reproducible in Utopic before
concluding that it has indeed been fixed there.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia-prime]Freeze while using touchpad

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-319” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-343” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nvidia-prime” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using an Optimus laptop (Asus N43SL)
  nvidia-prime is installed, so my nvidia dedicated graphics card (GT 540m) is
in use.

  Once in a while, my screen will freeze, only when I use my touchpad.
  This does not happen with my USB mouse.
  This does not happen either when I uninstall nvidia-prime and use my intel
integrated graphics (HD3000).

  I can temporarily solve the issue by doing a VT switch.

  In the attached Xorg.0.log, you can see "synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad:
touchpad found" each time I did a VT switch and regained control.