@Aron,

I'm not sure about the future including Desktop Next or convergence,
however I believe it's still worthy to have Mozc as default for the time
being. The engine itself is well maintained by Google team as
Mozc/Google Japanese Input(It's like a Chromium/Chrome relation) in
upstream, and popular on Windows, Linux and Android with no doubt.

Up until now, we didn't bring Mozc to MIR because it has a wide
dependencies. Now that fcitx is in main, a big remaining depedency is
"gyp". It would be great if Desktop team is positive to maintain it.

@Ikuya, your input is more than welcome.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Install Fcitx for Japanese users

Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  According to my proposal [1], Fcitx should be default for Japanese uses on
Vivid release cycle.
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2015-March/004645.html

  Ref: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/language-
  selector/+bug/1430893