This bug went away a while ago and unfortunately I have no idea how to
reproduce it, so I don't know if it still exists.  Sorry :(

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  empathy shows UTC time instead of local time

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  In the timestamps by each message, the time displayed is inaccurate.
  For example, a message at 12:00 PM shows up as 8:00 PM instead. (Im in
  UTC -8)

  I have tried switching through all the themes with no avail.

  Package: empathy 2.32.1-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic 2.6.35.10
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Mar 12 12:01:35 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash