I have attached a copy of the /home/this-
user/.mozilla/firefox/console.log which may help the relevant developers
identify why the console is inoperative. It contains details of console
error conditions which seem to have only commenced after the update to
40.

** Attachment added: "Firefox console.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1485321/+attachment/4445936/+files/console.log

  Firefox 40 blank with no menu

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Please do not ignore this bug report because it has not been submitted via
Apport. Due to the severe issue with Firefox 40 I cannot currently complete the
Apport submission process so am having to report this manually.
  Firefox was upgraded from 39.0.3+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 to
40.0+build4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 yesterday evening (15/08/2015) and now when it
runs the entire window is grey with no content and there is no menu. The
computer is running Xubuntu 12.04
  Trying to run Firefox in safe mode results in a small window titled Firefox
Safe Mode which contains just grey.
  When it is used to open help in the Xubuntu applications menu (no help
displayed, only blank grey window) and the top right X window close symbol is
clicked the 'Confirm close' window appears but it too is grey and has no
content and I can only terminate the application using Task Manager. The same
happens when I run Apport when it reaches the stage where Firefox is invoked.
This may not be relevant but tcpdump shows when it was first opened Firefox 40
did communicate to ec2-54-200-163-149.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com so it is
capable of connections. Disabling the Firefox Apparmor profile does not make
any difference. I will try to provide any further information requested as best
I can. If I can provide the requested information via e-mail that would be
preferable as Firefox is not operational and if the previous version is
reverted to it will not exhibit the bug.