Considering Alkis' objections, and since it's late in the cycle, I
uploaded less aggressive changes to the PPA.

https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/+archive/ubuntu/im-config-gnome

The changes make im-config start ibus in Ubuntu GNOME including GNOME
Classic, and leave the im-config behavior unchanged for the other
desktops.

@Alkis: If I understand it correctly, the issue, which you reported in
bug #1481025, means that it's not possible in GNOME Flashback (and
possibly other desktops) to switch easily between Greek typing and e.g.
Chinese typing, while it works in e.g. Unity. That's obviously a bug in
GNOME Flashback. IMNSHO that bug should be fixed the right way ASAP, so
we can drop this workaround. GNOME Flashback screws currently up IBus in
other ways too, but it's being worked on:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/759083

It should be possible to switch between any input sources without any
hassle.

Anyway, hopefully this latest proposal will make everyone reasonably
happy. :)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  ibus/im-config in Ubuntu GNOME

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  In the gnome-language-selector one is able to set the "Keyboard input
  method system". For instance on my system I can either set it to
  "none", "IBus", or "fcitx". However there is no such option in the
  gnome-control-center's Region & Language section, though I think that
  there should be.