Thank you very much Gunnar, the latest PPA changes work as expected for me in
gnome-flashback, i.e. ibus isn't running and I can type Greek just fine.
What you have in the PPA is a good compromise for 16.04, please keep it that
way.

For the future, post 16.04, I'll try to raise the issue in Debian's im-config,
so that there's no need to have an Ubuntu debdiff (or to minimize it).
I.e. I will ask that ibus isn't running in locales where it's not needed,
because:
1) It's causing issues (some of them will be solved in time)
2) It's wasting 20 MB of non-shared RAM (echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches;
free; killall ibus-daemon; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; free), which is
an issue in multi-user systems like LTSP thin clients.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  ibus/im-config in Ubuntu GNOME

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  In the gnome-language-selector one is able to set the "Keyboard input
  method system". For instance on my system I can either set it to
  "none", "IBus", or "fcitx". However there is no such option in the
  gnome-control-center's Region & Language section, though I think that
  there should be.