Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I don't completely understand what you mean with the
following:

> Of course if some non trusted packages has also been installed, then
goto ubuntu archive.

For the moment I have purged xserver-xorg-video-intel without
reinstalling it (since I've seen that it is optional).

I cannot yet verify with certainty whether this solves the issue because
I haven't found a way to reproduce it in a deterministic way.  That
said, after uninstalling xserver-xorg-video-intel, my virtual terminals
are visible again (which I hadn't mentioned in the original post because
I hadn't thought that this issue might be related).  I will keep this
configuration until I either run into the original issue again or you
advice me to install the package again.

In case this was a misconfiguration on my side (don't know why the
optional package was installed): Sorry for filing a bug report.

Cheers

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  High CPU usage of /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  My laptop is running Xubuntu 16.04 and recently (don't know when
  exactly) started showing very sluggish display and input behavior:

   - Typed input lags several characters behind.
   - Mouse input is slow (e.g. when drag and dropping elements)
   - /user/lib/xorg/Xorg uses high percantage of CPU ressources (oftentimes
100%)

  Any help is appreciated.

  Please let me know if you need any more information.

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE