Public bug reported:

Installed Ubuntu 16.04.1 fresh. Computer boots fine and lands on GDM. I
login and a blank screen appears with a mouse cursor. I can move the
mouse all around but I never can get anything to appear on the screen.

Using Intel Sandy Bridge graphics. Installed 12.04 and 14.04 on same
laptop. Never had this problem with either of the previous ubuntus.

** Affects: gdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  Blank screen after logging in with GDM

Status in gdm package in Ubuntu: