This bug was fixed in the package gnome-software -
3.22.5+really-3.22.4-0ubuntu1

---------------
gnome-software (3.22.5+really-3.22.4-0ubuntu1) zesty; urgency=medium

  * Merge with Debian and build from the upstream tarball instead
    of from a wip/ubuntu* branch. Remaining changes:
    - Add "Ubuntu Software" package
    - debian/control.in:
      + Build-Depend on libsnapd-glib-dev and enable snap plugin
      + Build-Depend on libapt-pkg-dev
      + Depend on aptdaemon
      + Depend on gnome-software-plugin-snap
      + Bump gnome-software-plugin-snap's Breaks/Replaces
        since we took the split later
    - debian/rules:
      + Don't enable PackageKit
    - debian/gnome-software.gsettings-override.in, debian/rules:
      + Add 'universe' to free-sources
    - Add patches numbered 0001-0013 from the git branch.
      Read the patch descriptions for more information.
  * debian/rules: Build without symbolic functions to fix Flatpak plugin.
    Thanks again Iain Lane (LP: #1650783)
  * Add 1001-trivial-Fix-a-deadlock-when-setting-the-origin-multi.patch:
    - Add commit from upstream 3.22 branch to fix regression in 3.22.4
  * Drop debian/README.source, unneeded since we don't build from git now

gnome-software (3.22.4-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  [ Jeremy Bicha ]
  * debian/gnome-software.gsettings-override.in, debian/rules:
    - Use Ubuntu's licensing URL when built on Ubuntu
  * debian/rules:
    - Enable Ubuntu Reviews on Ubuntu

  [ Laurent Bigonville ]
  * New upstream release
    - Bump libappstream-glib-dev and libflatpak-dev build-dependencies
    - Drop debian/patches/01_pkgname-sanity.patch and
      debian/patches/02_packagekit-linking.patch, applied upstream
    - Disable gnome-software-plugin-snap package, it now requires snapd-glib
      which is not in debian yet

 -- Jeremy Bicha <jbi...@ubuntu.com>  Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:50:03 -0500

** Changed in: gnome-software (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Zesty: gnome-software crashes on start if gnome-software-plugin-
  flatpak is installed

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  What Happens
  ============
  * From Ubuntu 17.04 Alpha, install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak

  gnome-software will now refuse to start.

  * When I run it from the command line, I get this output:

  I kill all running instances of gnome-software before starting it:
  $ pkill gnome-software
  $ gnome-software
  06:15:12:0290 GLib-GObject cannot register existing type 'GsFlatpak'
  06:15:12:0290 GLib g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed
  06:15:12:0290 GLib-GObject g_object_new: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT
(object_type)' failed

  I am unable to reproduce this crash on Debian. Installing gnome-
  software-plugin-flatpak there works fine.

  If we can't fix this, I believe we have no choice but to disable the
  Flatpak plugin. Installing something from the Ubuntu archives can't be
  allowed to break such a critical app.

  Other things I've tried