Public bug reported:

NM seems completely broken in 16.10.

I use NM, wifi and several VPN connections.

Expected behaviour:

1. Connect NM to default wlan -> name resolution works without interuption and
permanently
2. Connection to Cisco Anyconnect (via openconnect) -> DNS servers sent via
DHCP should be added to the resolver list, name resolution should work in
destination network, routes adjusted accordingly
3. Connect NM to foreign network (WPA2) -> DNS resolution sent via DHCP should
be taken as default

Current behaviour:

NM starts dnsmasq by default (I commented the start line to fix issues).
DNS resolution stops after some minutes.

Removing dnsmasq fron NetworkManager.conf (as I did) allows for name
resolution except for web browsers (neither Firefox nor Chromium use the
systemd.resolver).

5 minutes of inactivity on the network suffice for the name resolution
to stop working. Have to reestablish network connection (sudo
resolveconf -u does not work).

This violates expectation 1

NM connects via openconnect. In the settings I added additional DNS
servers and domain searches. They are ignored by dnsmasq. Name
resolution does not work.

*Worksaround* -> enter IP-addresses in /etc/hosts.

dig @server-ip returns the correct IP address for target services but
Firefox and Chromium do not utilize these services. dnsmasq does not
return the correct address.

This violates expectation 2

Entering a foreign but known network, DNS resolution stops after a while
(5 minutes inactivity suffice).

Summarizing:

a. DNS resolution using VPN connections does not work (I use openvpn,
openconnect and pptp).
b. dnsmasq does not resolve dns names correctly in wlan situations
c. dnsmasq conflicts with systemd.resolver
d. Firefox and Chromium ignore systemd.resolver
e. removing dnsmasq from NetworkManager.conf releaves the issue a little
(resolution drop-outs do not occur so frequently)

Comparison to plain Debian demonstrated that Debian does not start
dnsmasq. This led to the elimination of my dns=dnsmaq line in
NetworkManager.conf

Comparison to Raspian demonstrated that Raspian uses wpa_supplicant to
control dns name resolution. I have not tried this setup in Ubuntu yet.

Package: network-manager 1.2.6-0ubuntu1
NonfreeKernelModules: wl nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Mar 23 11:28:21 2017
IfupdownConfig:
 # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.2)
IpRoute:
 default via 10.1.0.254 dev wlp4s0  proto static  metric 600
 10.0.0.0/8 dev wlp4s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.1.0.168  metric 600
 169.254.0.0/16 dev wlp4s0  scope link  metric 1000
 172.16.199.0/24 dev vmnet8  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.16.199.1
 192.168.31.0/24 dev vmnet1  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.31.1
NetworkManager.state:
 [main]
 NetworkingEnabled=true
 WirelessEnabled=true
 WWANEnabled=true
SourcePackage: network-manager
mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2017-03-23T11:24:00.888213
nmcli-dev:
 DEVICE  TYPE      STATE      DBUS-PATH
CONNECTION  CON-UUID                              CON-PATH

 wlp4s0  wifi      connected  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2  rsb_hs
     7a8389dc-afd3-444b-a106-1974e9e74dff
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/0
 vmnet1  ethernet  unmanaged  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  --
     --                                    --

 vmnet8  ethernet  unmanaged  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0  --
     --                                    --

 lo      loopback  unmanaged  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/3  --
nmcli-nm:
 RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW  WIFI
   WWAN-HW  WWAN
 running  1.2.6    connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  enabled  enabled

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug yakkety

  Network manager does not resolve dns names

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu: