Closing due to the last update to this bug being almost 7 years old.
Please file a new bug if this still applies to recent releases of
chromium-browser.

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  chromium 6 hard locks the machine when opening a new window

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: chromium-browser

  Chromium 6.0.472.53 was installed on my machine sometime in the last
  week. There is a problem that causes my entire machine to lockup
  (kernel oops, as far as I can tell).

  System setup/info
  - Linux bq-erebus 2.6.32-24-generic-pae #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 15:37:22
UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
  - The nvidia-current package is providing a driver for the NVIDIA card in the
machine (GeForce 9500 GT).
  - Ubuntu 10.04
  - Kubuntu installed and active (ie. KDE 4 is my desktop)

  Steps to reproduce
  1) Start chromium which opens the windows/tabs from before. For me this is 4
windows with 20-30 tabs between them. The contents of the tabs include Pulse,
JIRA and Bugzilla installations. Unfortunately, they're all intranet sites or
I'd supply URLs.
  2) Open a new chromium window by clicking the icon in the panel (this runs
chromium-browser which tells the running instance to make a new window).

  Expected behaviour
  1) Window opens.
  2) Home page loads.

  Observed behaviour
  1) Window opens.
  2) Machine locks up hard.
  3) Keyboard lights flash.
  4) Machine cannot be pinged.
  5) Hard drive is not making noise.
  6) Display does not update.
  7) Keyboard/Mouse have no effect.
  8) Power must be manually cycled.

  Note that this is not 100% reliable. I believe I had Chromium 6
  running for several days before I first had this problem. I have not
  experienced this problem 3 times over 2 days.

  Given the way this fails, reproducing it may prove to be difficult. I'm not
sure if the existing windows/tabs have any impact on the issue. I'm including
some hints from our IT guys (who have dealt with similar symtpoms).
  - Desktop Effects/Compiz are known to cause these symptoms. I was running
Compiz and had Desktop Effects enabled. However even after disabling Desktop
Effects and switching to KWin the problem persists.
  - I was using the non-PAE kernel. I switched to the PAE kernel to get access
to the full 4GB of RAM installed in my machine. That involved re-installing the
NVIDIA driver. This had no effect on the problem.
  - I cannot reproduce this with Chromium 5.x.
  - The previous instances where similar symptoms were observed was traced down
to some mixup/race between the compositing stuff in X and the input event stuff
in X.

  Based on the above, my completely speculative suggestion is that
  Chromium 6 includes some kind of "accelerated" rendering (eg. WebKit
  using OpenGL directly) and this is triggering a bug down in X or the
  kernel or the driver.

  Downgrading to Chromium 5.x has given me a browser that works but it
  can't read the profile and I can't find a backup of the profile. Since
  I'm already in a compromised situation I might try backing up the
  chromium profile, blowing it away and seeing if I can reproduce the
  bug without the intranet sites loaded.

  Package: chromium-browser 5.0.342.9~r43360-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.42-generic-pae 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu Sep 16 15:34:21 2010