[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)
       Status: Incomplete => Expired

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/779983

Title:
  [Natty] Unreliable detection of snd-hda-intel with Conexant CX20549
  codec

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Ever since the "up"grade to Ubuntu Natty, I have been having a host of
  problems with regards to audio. Foremost among them is the unreliable
  detection of sound related hardware during boot time. I have since
  done a clean install (keeping only home folder, but deleting all
  configuration other than Wine prefixes and virtual machines). The
  problem persists even now.

  The symptoms of the problem are thus: at boot time, 3 things may
  happen: (1) the sound hardware (snd-hda-intel) will simply not be
  detected, (2) the sound hardware is detected but the codec isn't (snd-
  hda-codec-conexant) or (3) both are detected.

  For cases (1) and (2), no sound is possible. Usually, but not always, I can 
get sound back by booting into a Lucid Live CD then booting back into Natty. 
For case (3), sound works, but is likely to stop working after a period of 
inactivity or with certain applications (Flash with Firefox, and Wine, are both 
reliable "killers" of audio); after audio stops working, I can get it back if I 
kill all programs that were using audio and run the following script:
  echo "autospawn=no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf
  pulseaudio -k
  killall -q pulseaudio
  sudo alsa force-reload
  echo "autospawn=yes" > ~/.pulse/client.conf
  pulseaudio -D

  Sometimes, though, the above script will give the same results as case
  (2) above, which leads me to believe the issues are related. I have
  added the following lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (much as I
  needed to since Karmic):

  Top:
  alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
  alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
  install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-hda-intel 
$CMDLINE_OPTS

  End:
  options snd-hda-intel index=-2 power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

  At the moment, I have been able to get only case (1) working; the
  output of alsa-info.sh under these circumstances is here: http://www
  .alsa-project.org/db/?f=f157afd6ad28a41962b9058b164b3bdbd0dbf9be

  Yesterday, I was able to get sound fully working; under those
  circumstances, alsa-info.sh returns this: http://www.alsa-
  project.org/db/?f=28ff7b24dba70a86acc5e8ae6d2dd5ef3bf1220b

  The difference between cases (2) and (3) is that the Conexant codec is not 
found; the hardware is found, but I only have a "Dummy output" available for 
selection. kern.log confirms this: when I run the script I gave above, the 
following lines are printed in case (2):
  [112070.826937] HDA Intel 0000:00:07.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LAZA] -> GSI 21 
(level, low) -> IRQ 21
  [112070.826942] hda_intel: Disable MSI for Nvidia chipset
  [112070.827006] HDA Intel 0000:00:07.0: setting latency timer to 64
  [112070.900039] hda-intel: no codecs found!
  [112070.900099] HDA Intel 0000:00:07.0: PCI INT A disabled

  But the following lines are printed in case (3):
  [    5.858654] HDA Intel 0000:00:07.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LAZA] -> GSI 21 
(level, low) -> IRQ 21
  [    5.858657] hda_intel: Disable MSI for Nvidia chipset
  [    5.858717] HDA Intel 0000:00:07.0: setting latency timer to 64

  If there is any further information I can give to help solve this
  problem, please ask.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/779983/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to