Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) reached end-of-life on October 28, 2012.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  Other keyboard layouts don't work

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I can't change my keyboard layout. Neither in the gnome-keyboard-properties
menu, nor in the indicator. Couldn't change it on my old laptop with lucid
either. If changing it to German - Neo2 there come other letters but not the
ones that should come "abcdefg" is "æ“¢ð€đŋ". If changing the layout to Israel
phonetic the letters stay the same and don't change, but the indicator shows a
different layout. I can't get hebrew letters with israel layout.
  I'm running natty 64-bit, with old gnome 2.x.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu15
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-3.9-generic 3.2.0-rc4
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-3-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Architecture: amd64
  CheckboxSubmission: 893a4349ededb82580c4d3fff2ae7d89
  CheckboxSystem: bb422ca46d02494cdbc459927a98bc2f