@khurshid

4) The idea is to have a separate ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso. But in the
default iso, both autologin and user-session names set to "ubuntu". If
we want to change that to "unity", we could do that by shipping a
override in "/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/51-autologin.conf".
unity-settings seems proper place to do that. Other option is to carry
similar settings in lightdm.

Khurshid,

I like this idea and I appreciate all the help jbicha is giving you but
with our current manpower resources we may have to settle for a
flattened and leaner unity7. I don't expect you to do all of this work
by yourself. It has been my contention that we try an use any and all of
the gnome components that we can, however, I trust your direction on
this. I will try and recruit more help.

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-settings in Ubuntu.

  Decouple unity related settings as unity-settings

Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:

  This is an attempt to resolve "* Shared GSettings keys" issue listed
  under https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/NotDefaultIssues.

  Ubuntu so far is providing session related overrides for both ubuntu &
  unity sessions in a single package, i.e. ubuntu-settings. But now that
  Unity is not the default desktop it doesn't make any sense to carry
  unity related overrides in ubuntu-settings.

  For this purpose I have created a new project: unity-settings
  (https://code.launchpad.net/~khurshid-alam/unity-settings/trunk) and
  the binary would be unity-settings in universe.

  To make this happen in under 18.04 cycle, the work-flow should be:

  1) Have unity-settings in the universe
  2) Have ubuntu-unity-desktop in the universe
  3) Let ubuntu-unity-desktop depends on unity-settings
  4) Drop unity related settings in ubuntu-settings (merge request in-progress)