I have the same problem (Inkscape 0.92.2, openSUSE Leap 42.3).
As a temporary fix, it is possible for me to use the bold version by writing
the weight directly into the style field.

** Attachment added: "Choosing the weight by typing it manually"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1470878/+attachment/5052123/+files/ubuntu_bold.png

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu bold font unavailable

Status in Inkscape:
  New
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  as can be seen from the attached image the bold weight of the ubuntu
  is for an unknown reason not available in the style section of the
  text-and-font tool.

  Package: inkscape 0.91-3ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Thu Jul  2 14:15:31 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: inkscape
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2015-05-06 (57 days ago)