Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all
reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since
that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some
of the updates. It would help us a lot if you could test it on a currently
supported Ubuntu version. When you test it and it is still an issue, kindly
upload the updated logs by running only once:
apport-collect 894591

and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

  Typeahead functionality involving mouse scroll is broken

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      11.10

  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:3.2.1-0ubuntu3.1
    Candidate: 1:3.2.1-0ubuntu3.1

  Expected behaviour:
  - Open the directory that contains files with names starting with a similar
character/string in nautilus. Example: abc, file1, file2, file3, xyz.
  - To select “file3” using typeahead you can either type explicit, unequivocal
string (“file3” in this case, as the digit distinguishes file in this
directory) or type common part and USE SCROLL TO NAVIGATE THROUGH THE RESULTS
(in this case, e.g. “f”, which makes you able to scroll from “file1” to
“file3”; “abc” and “xyz” are excluded as they don’t match) -- each scroll down
selects next available item, each scroll up selects every previous item; I do
not know how to say it more clearly.

  Actual behaviour:
  - Open the directory that contains files with names starting with a similar
character/string in nautilus. Example: abc, file1, file2, file3, xyz.
  - Type in “f”.
  - Scrolling through the results doesn’t work UNLESS you place mouse pointer
over the typeahead box. This is not very useful as this box is small and
located in a corner.

  I remember the abovementioned expected behaviour to be an actual
  behaviour of 9.10 and classic GNOME, from which I turned to oneiric
  few weeks ago.