Update:

I was running the: paulo-miguel-dias/mesa   build
and the: oibaf/graphics-drivers        build

I uninstalled both and reverted to the standard ubuntu drivers/setup. This
fixed the mouse issue.
As both of the above adons have some popularity one of them may have been the
cause of the issue - though cant confirm which one. Perhaps it was because I
was running both that caused a configuration issue after an update - all just
conjecture, however I now have a working Wayland session now.

Hope this sheds some light on what might have happened.

  Mouse left button not being noticed when clicked under Wayland - works
  under x11

  Connected other mice, unplugging/rebooting/replugging  in mouse has no
  affect.

  However booting into X11 from the login screen fixes the mouse issue!
  If I try to login with Wayland then the problem reemerges.

  Ive even enabled "Pre-Release Updates and downloaded all the updated
  files in the hope of fixing the issue - it didnt.

  So HELP!

  Even though I have a working system I would prefer to be working under
  Wayland.

  Cheers in advance

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:17.10.8
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jan 14 15:57:30 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Alpha amd64 (20170905)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: dist-upgrade
  VarLogDistupgradeTermlog: