I reviewed volume-key version 0.3.9-3 as checked into bionic. This should
not be considered a full security audit but rather a quick gauge of
maintainability.

- No CVEs in our database.
- volume-key's main purpose is to provide some key escrow capabilities for
  encrypted storage

- Build-Depends: debhelper, libglib2.0-dev, libcryptsetup-dev,
  libnss3-dev, libgpgme11-dev, libblkid-dev, swig, python-dev,
  libnss3-tools
- Does not daemonize
- No networking
- Does Cryptography
- No pre/post inst/rm
- No init scripts
- No systemd unit files
- No dbus services
- No setuid files
- volume_key in PATH
- No sudo fragments
- No udev rules
- There is a test suite but it doesn't appear useful as a quality tool
- No cron jobs
- Some warnings in the build logs, not ideal

- No subprocesses spawned
- I found some probable errors in memory management, but mostly good:
  - kmip_decode_object_symmetric_key() return -1 case leaks res?
  - kmip_decode_key_value() default: case leaks res?
  - kmip_decode_object_secret_data() return -1 case leaks res?
- Files opened are controlled by the user
- Logging looked careful
- No privileged operations
- Extensive cryptographic operations
- No networking
- No privileged portions of code
- No temp files
- No WebKit
- No JavaScript
- Clean cppcheck
- No PolicyKit

I don't like promoting this package to main already. The tests shouldn't
be failing in a brand-new project. The fact that nss's certutil's use of
UpdateRNG() does a bunch of garbage with the terminal and prints lies
about what it is doing suggests that certutil itself is not suitable for
use by this project:

https://sources.debian.org/src/nss/2:3.35-2/nss/cmd/certutil/keystuff.c/?hl=67#L67

I'd be much happier promoting volume-key for 18.10.

However, we've already gotten complaints from our users that their
encrypted storage no longer works because the old mechanism has apparently
already been torn down.

If there's no way to bring back the old mechanism, then..

Security team begrudging ACK for promoting volume-key to main. But I'd be
happier if we could just bring back what used to work.

Thanks

** Changed in: volume-key (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Ubuntu Security Team (ubuntu-security) => (unassigned)

Packages, which is subscribed to volume-key in Ubuntu.

  [MIR] volume-key

Status in volume-key package in Ubuntu:

  Availability
  ============
  Built for all supported architectures. In sync with Debian.

  Rationale
  =========
  GNOME Disks uses udisks2. Debian's udisks2 recommends libblockdev-crypto2
which depends on libvolume-key1.

  The package description for libblockdev-crypto2 is:
   "The libblockdev library plugin (and in the same time a standalone library)
    providing the functionality related to encrypted devices (LUKS)."

  This sounds like a very useful feature for Ubuntu since we offer full
  disk encryption using LUKS.

  Security
  ========
  No known security issues. Presumably should get a Security review.

  https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/volume-key
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/volume-key/+cve

  Quality assurance
  =================
  - Please subscribe Ubuntu Desktop bugs (although the Desktop Team thinks that
Foundations should be responsible for udisks and friends)

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/volume-key
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=volume-key
  https://pagure.io/volume_key/issues

  dh_auto_test is run but tests are failing and ignored.

  No autopkgtests

  Dependencies
  ============
  No universe dependencies

  Standards compliance
  4.1.3, debhelper compat 11, simple dh7 style rules

  Maintenance
  Maintained in Debian by the Debian Utopia team, which is a small team focused
on cross-desktop freedesktop.org stuff.

  https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team/volume-key

  upstream:
  https://pagure.io/volume_key