Oh I see.

If the domain does not need to match the .desktop (and I don't think it
does), I'm fine with you changing the gettext domain. Sorry about that!

I think there is even a way to fix the original bug without renaming the
.desktop by adding a StartupWMClass field to the .desktop. I wasn't
really aware of that at the time; I just knew that Python apps commonly
had a problem when the .desktop file name didn't match the binary
filename.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Translation domain confusion

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  In this upload:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/language-selector/0.179

  the domain in setup.cfg was changed from "language-selector" to
  "gnome-language-selector". This appears to have resulted in a new
  unnecessary translation template:

  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/language-selector

  Probably the domain in setup.cfg should be changed back to "language-
  selector" and the extra "gnome-language-selector" template deleted.