So I patched the 4.15.0-15-generic kernel from kernel.ubuntu.com with
the supplied patch and then intstalled the kernel on my 16.04 xenail
laptop and everything works as it should. The display came up, the touch
pad is responsive and working normally. I have enclosed my dumps of
lswh, lspci, lsmod and my cmdline output.

How I installed this:
I build a bionic container on my laptop:
lxc launch ubuntu-daily:bionic kernel
lxc file push spth-pinctrl-fix.diff kernel/root/
lxc exec kernel bash
apt update && apt upgrade -y
apt build-dep linux-image-`uname -r`
apt install fakeroot
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git
cd ubuntu-bionic
cp ../spth-pinctrl-fix.diff .
patch -p1 < spth-pintctrl-fix.diff
fakeroot debian/rules clean
fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic binary-perarch

After the build and the output of the deb files:
exit
mkdir ~/kernel-test
cd ~/kernel-test
lxc file pull kernel/root/linux-image-4.15.0-15-generic_4.15.0-15.16_amd64.deb .
lxc file pull
kernel/root/linux-image-extra-4.15.0-15-generic_4.15.0-15.16_amd64.deb .
lxc file pull kernel/root/linux-headers-4.15.0-15_4.15.0-15.16_all.deb .
lxc file pull
kernel/root/linux-headers-4.15.0-15-generic_4.15.0-15.16_amd64.deb .

Also, the linux-headers-4.15.0-15 deb depends on libssl1.1, which is
default in Bionic, but not in Xenial, so I had to download that deb file
from here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libssl1.1

And then I just used dpkg -i to install the files and reboot the laptop
and it started up properly.

While the laptop display works and the touchpad is responsive and works
properly. there are still issues with the FN+F7/F8 brightness controls,
and the other FN options that should work out of the box, but at least
the display works with the 4.15.0-15 kernel

** Attachment added: "logs.tar.gz"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1761261/+attachment/5125965/+files/logs.tar.gz

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  nouveau/nvidia drivers do not work with display in Bionic on Asus
  GL703VD Laptop

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:

  Tried to install Bionic Desktop on my Asus GL703VD ROG Laptop with
  NVIDIA GTX 1050M Video Card (with i915 Intel graphics card when not
  using 3D) and the installer does not display. I have tried
  nouveau.modeset=0 and nomodeset boot options to no avail. I was able
  to finally install Bionic by hooking up the laptop to a projector, but
  after a reboot, the laptop display still did not work and I had to set
  the account to autologin otherwise I could not login to the laptop. I
  then install openssh-server so that I could ssh into the laptop and I
  installed the nvidia-390 drivers from ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa which
  installed, but still no local display.

  In Artful, I could install with the nouveau.modeset=0 and then
  installing the proprietary NVIDIA drivers and everything (except
  touchpad, LP: 1738263) worked.

  lspci shows the graphics card and NVIDIA card, and lsmod does show
  that before NVIDIA drivers install, it is using nouveau, asus_wmi, and
  i915 for graphcis, and once NVIDIA drivers are install, lsmod only
  shows i915 and asus_wmi for graphics while nvidia is used for gpu and
  3D, but still no display on the laptop.

  lsmod_prenvidia.txt shows the nouveau driver and the /proc/cmdline
  lsmod_nvidia.txt shows nvidia drivers installed and the /proc/cmdline
  lspci.txt shows the detected hardware
  lshw.txt shows the hardware in the laptop.

  Please let me know if you need any other information.

  Thanks,
  Luke