I think you mean "the installation disc was able to do it
automatically".

This is expected. The reason is that the installation disk uses Xorg as
the display server so that's the same as the workaround mentioned in
comment #5.

The problem after installation is that the login screen itself defaults
to using Wayland instead of X, and so you will hit the problem there
first.

** Summary changed:

- [radeon] Every time I boot up ubuntu, the login screen looks like a static TV
screen. This does not occur with other login manages, only gdm3
+ [radeon] Wayland sessions including the login screen are just static noise

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  [radeon] Wayland sessions including the login screen are just static
  noise

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Version 18.04 LTS

  gdm3:
      Installed: 3.28.0-0ubuntu1 500

  Package name: /etc/gdm3

  Whenever I boot Ubuntu following installation from the official
  install ISO, the boot screen appears, but the login manager appears as
  static, scrambled graphics, making me unable to login without opening
  the VT and installing lightdm and switching to that login manager.

  Expected Results:
  Login manager appears with login field, background, and menu while I am able
to find, click, and enter information into the login text fields.

  Actual Results:
  Scrambled noise appeared on my screen and I am unable to leave without
force-shutting down my Gateway PC, or opening a VT and installing lightdm,
rebooting afterwards.

  Package: gdm3 3.28.0-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Jun  8 11:41:23 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=linux
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>