I don't longer have access to a photosmart printer so I can't confirm if
it is still a problem or not.

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  Borderless printing doesn't work on the Photosmart B8500 with hpcups

Status in HPLIP:
  Incomplete
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  I can't get borderless printing to work on the Photosmart B8500 with
  the hpcups drivers. Borderless printing does work with the hpijs
  drivers, but those drivers have some quality problems. The problem is
  that the hpijs driver give green lines with some prints, changing to
  the hpcups driver solves that problem (and hpcups is also the
  preferred driver if I'm right), but then borderless printing doesn't
  work. Searching for a solution I encountered this bug
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/405116 and thus
  upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04, but I still get margins when trying to
  print something borderless. I did add all the printers again to make
  sure I was using the newer drivers.

  I've attached the debug log of an example job. As you can the PageSize
  is correctly set to A4.FB, but somehow that doesn't work. I've also
  attached the output of hp-check.

  I am a programmer, so if you can give any hints as to where in the
  code the problem might be or what I could try changing to see if the
  problems goes away that would also be very welcome. I've already tried
  changing a lot of settings and looking quickly at the code, but I'm a
  bit stuck at the moment.