I left a message on Canon site, in a survey, about the obsolete
dependencies in their Debian package.

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  Canon PIXMA MG4250 unhandled by system-config-printer

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu:

  Let us start by the beginning, and describe my printer’s
  configuration: it is a Canon Pixma MG4250, connected by Wi-Fi to my
  internet box, and thus available on my local network.

  On XUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS (as returned by 'lsb_release -rd'), it is
  detected by system-config-printer (1.5.11-1ubuntu2, from
  http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages, as
  said by 'apt-cache policy system-config-printer'), which by default
  chooses automatically the corresponding driver, by fails at last step
  to define the new printer and returns cups-error-internal-error. My
  first reaction was of course to check the Web for others having a
  similar problem, and the way they solved it if any did, but I did not
  find anything relevant.

  I then tried something else: instead of choosing the automatically
  detected printer, I gave the URI found on XUbuntu 16.04, which is
  cnijnet:/ followed by (what I think to be) the MAC address of the
  printer. I then have to choose a driver (where system-config-printer
  automatically did it in previous method), but adding the printer still
  fails at last step, this time with cups-error-not-possible.

  I found a turnaround, but it is not straightforward: I applied the
  method which worked on XUbuntu 16.04, which is to use Canon driver
  (from

https://www.canon.fr/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg4250.aspx?type=drivers).
  I choose the Debian archive from their page

(https://www.canon.fr/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg4250.aspx?type=drivers&language=&os=Linux%20(64-bit)),
  and tried to install it. However, it needed three packages
  (libpango1.0, libpng12 and libtiff14) while only the first is still
  available on 18.04 (the two others are obsolete). A web search
  indicated that older packages can be used, I thus got those of the
  previous LTS (xenius) on the Ubuntu archive site
  (https://packages.ubuntu.com - but the last one, libtiff14, needs a
  direct access to tiff directory of the French archive site
  (http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/tiff), as the library
  is not referenced, only its dev part). Once those package are saved
  and installed (with a sudo dpkg -i ...), Canon’s installation script
  works fine, and adds the printer. I still have to verify whether
  printing works (but it should be OK). I applied the method which
  worked on XUbuntu 16.04, which is to use Canon driver. I choose the
  Debian archive from their page, and tried to install it. However, it
  needed three packages (libpango1.0, libpng12 and libtiff14) while only
  the first is still available on 18.04 (the two others are obsolete). A
  web search indicated that older packages can be used, I thus got those
  of the previous LTS (xenius) on the Ubuntu archive site (but the last
  one, libtiff14, needs a direct access to tiff directory of the French
  archive site, as the library is not referenced, only its dev part).
  Once those package are saved and installed (with a sudo dpkg -i ...),
  Canon’s installation script works fine, and adds the printer.
  Everything then works fine.

  Package: system-config-printer 1.5.11-1ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: 8723de
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sat Sep 29 17:23:26 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  Lpstat: Error: command ['lpstat', '-v'] failed with exit code 1: lpstat: No
destinations added.
  Lsusb:
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
   Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:b009 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
   Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04ca:707e Lite-On Technology Corp.
  MachineType: HP HP Laptop 14-cf0xxx
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Papersize: a4
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-34-generic
root=UUID=72197e8c-0319-4e27-a20b-00aab768871f ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
  SourcePackage: system-config-printer
  dmi.bios.date: 07/27/2018
  dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde
  dmi.bios.version: F.14
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Type2 - Board Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: 84B2
  dmi.board.vendor: HP
  dmi.board.version: KBC Version 74.22
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: HP
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnInsyde:bvrF.14:bd07/27/2018:svnHP:pnHPLaptop14-cf0xxx:pvrType1ProductConfigId:rvnHP:rn84B2:rvrKBCVersion74.22:cvnHP:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.family: 103C_5335KV HP Notebook
  dmi.product.name: HP Laptop 14-cf0xxx
  dmi.product.version: Type1ProductConfigId
  dmi.sys.vendor: HP