Public bug reported:

1. Running stock 18.04.1
2. gnome-control-center 3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

As shown in the first screenshot below, the print settings panel shows
an "Add..." in the headerbar as well as "Add a printer..." and
"Additional printer settings" in the main area.

The first two buttons are highlighted and would naturally seem to be the
first options to try, but they didn't actually work. While I was able to
browse the list of printers attached to the print server, attempting to
actually add the printer ended in an uninformative error message as
shown in the second screenshot.

On the other hand, "Additional printer settings" launches the old
system-config-printer utility which did succeed in adding my desired
printer.

It is not at all obvious without trial and error which option one should
choose to add a new printer.

** Affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Tags: ui

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2018-11-26 16-33-41.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1805438/+attachment/5216780/+files/Screenshot%20from%202018-11-26%2016-33-41.png

  Print settings present two distinct interfaces for adding printers

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu: