> > Seems to me from comment 81 that this change should not be OS X - specific.
>
> So do you think we should remove the maybeCanonizeURL code altogether? I
> wasn't sure if we wanted to keep this behavior inherited from Internet
> Explorer on at least Windows, so I suggested making the minimal behavior
> change for a first patch (I was helping nox understand how this code works
> while we were waiting at the airport).

I'm not familiar with the pedigree of maybeCanonizeURL. It looks like
the functionality was originally introduced in 2002 by Hyatt with no bug
number. It does look like IE still does this type of completion.
Philipp, what do you want to do?

(note that "keep matching IE on Windows" != "only change this on OS X";
we should specialcase Windows, not OS X)

  Inconsistent shortcuts for new tab

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.5 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

  tab:

   - location bar: <ALT> + <ENTER>
   - GO button: <CTRL> + click
   - search bar: <CTRL> + <ENTER>
   - SEARCH button <ALT> + click
   - links: <SHIFT> + click
   - menu bar: <CTRL> + click
   - BACKWARD/FORWARD button: <CTRL> + click

  This is one of the reasons I'm keeping with Opera. There it is always
  the shift key and I have to remember only one key.

  Thanks for reading!