> Does this still cover the original intention of this bug and several
> duplicates that users want an option (ideally on by default) where
> Ctrl+Enter in location bar opens the address in a new tab? It's confusing
> that sometimes we need to press Ctrl and sometimes Alt to open things in a
> new tab.

It should, yes. Overall the idea is that CTRL will be the canonization key, and
it should be possible to disable it, as well as it should imo be possible to
set what to canonize to (if one prefers .it to .com, for example).
Then on Mac, CMD will open in a new tab, rather trying to canonize.

> Why can't we just make ALT the default canonizer shortcut key?

It would not be coherent with any other browser, and we want users to feel home
when then move to Firefox.
All of the other browsers canonize on CTRL.

  Inconsistent shortcuts for new tab

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.5 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

  tab:

   - location bar: <ALT> + <ENTER>
   - GO button: <CTRL> + click
   - search bar: <CTRL> + <ENTER>
   - SEARCH button <ALT> + click
   - links: <SHIFT> + click
   - menu bar: <CTRL> + click
   - BACKWARD/FORWARD button: <CTRL> + click

  This is one of the reasons I'm keeping with Opera. There it is always
  the shift key and I have to remember only one key.

  Thanks for reading!