> Adam: I'm really hesitant to put it into libinput because I'm not sure the
> problem scope is well understood (at least by me) and what the actual point
> of it is. So far it's been a "would be nice" but - at least these days :) -
> we require a bit more information about use-cases and precise behaviours.

I'm not exactly sure why the point is not clear.

You can make the same argument for normal mouse cursor movement, where
mouse cursor acceleration is a pretty standard thing. And I think it
makes even more sense for mouse wheel scrolling than it does for mouse
cursor movement.

In all cases, you want to be able to make precise movements, as precise
as what the application allows (pixel based or line based but e.g. for
scrolling a list, I think a nicer experience is pixel based in all
cases). So this requires that the minimum possible scroll/movement speed
greater zero is as low as possible (e.g. 1 pixel).

Also, you would want to make the movement/scrolling as fast as possible.
For mouse cursor movement, this might be less of a problem because the
screen is usually of finite size and usually not so big anyway. That is
why I think it is even more important for scrolling than for cursor
movement. The scroll area can usually be much larger (e.g. a whole book)
or even be infinite and you might want to skip over huge parts at once.

By acceleration, you solve this nicely as this dynamically adapts the
speed. It will be slow if you move slowly but it can be as fast as you
want.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  [KDE] no option for mouse wheel acceleration

Status in X.Org X server:
  Unknown
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  I am very used to mouse wheel acceleration but I haven't found any
  setting for it in the KDE settings.

  Also, the maximum possible value you can fill there (strangely it
  counts per lines) still is very slow.

  Package: kdebase (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.39-generic-pae 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Aug 17 20:50:50 2010
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100427)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash