> If  acceleration depends on the toolkit/application, I fear it'll remain a
> toy for select applications on modern distros only.

it's a thin line between adding these features for legacy applications
and screwing things up for new applications that could do it better
themselves. the worst mistake we made along these lines was kinetic
scrolling in the synaptics driver, in addition to the various bugs it
also made it impossible for clients to implement it properly themselves.
something like wheel acceleration would be the same, it is transparent
to the point that it makes smart acceleration in a client virtually
impossible.

> So if handling this in libinput causes problems, maybe there is a different
> central place where to implement it.
> How do Windows or MacOS handle this, as it is probably working without
> issues there?

Win/MacOS have less toolkits to worry about *and* they control almost the whole
stack :)
it'd be possible to add it as additional data in libinput but then you still
require the compositor to pass the data on. Which requires a) updates to the
software and b) a wayland protocol to send that data on which again requires
a), so legacy applications are still out in the void.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  [KDE] no option for mouse wheel acceleration

Status in X.Org X server:
  Unknown
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  I am very used to mouse wheel acceleration but I haven't found any
  setting for it in the KDE settings.

  Also, the maximum possible value you can fill there (strangely it
  counts per lines) still is very slow.

  Package: kdebase (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.39-generic-pae 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Aug 17 20:50:50 2010
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100427)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash