This is not the same bug. After resuming from suspend with a new
installation of ubuntu 18.10 and no extensions installed this happened:

https://i.postimg.cc/XJqGb1xy/photo-2019-01-16-11-54-12.jpg

The left panel is over the purple-like lock screen and unusable (the only thing
is that icons illuminate with mouse movement but they don't respond on click.
The top panel respond but it has only suspend option enabled.

So, the solution for me is:
1. ctrl+alt+F1 , put my password and see all opened windows once again (without
restart)
2. restart
3. enable asking password after suspend*

*to explain that (because of the other bug):
The change I did is to disable from gnome-settings the privacy/lock
screen/automatic lock screen option.

  ubuntu 18.10 fails to restore from suspend if no password

  my system:
  ubuntu 18.10
  4k monitor with 1 scale and 1.5 font scale
  nvidia 410 and 390 drivers are checked

  when happened:
  lock screen or suspend. return after that.
  if I have user password prompt enabled: everything ok
  if I haven't user password prompt enabled, system started with gnome crashed

  I expect:
  ubuntu to has the same behaviour either I have a password either not.

  What happened:
  in case of no password (I should just 'swipe up' or press 'space' and
everything should be ready.. but) most of the times I can not return to desktop.
  - freezes on a screen with panels but no desktop
  - freezes on a purple screen that no command is working (as ctrl+alt+t)
  - freezes on a useless gnome panels (dash and topbar) mode

  solution chosen:
  I press ctrl+alt+F1 to change environment, I enter my password... BUT again
the gnome is too slow, app icon is always on and everything is acting weird
(some apps' icon that I have opened on the other session is liked pined on dash
without have the option to unpin it - like I see it but it is not pinned)
  So, I just save what I can through the new session and just restart the pc
(in new session is available - in the previous is only suspend available)

  frequency: about 80% of the times. If lock-screen showed up normally
  (and I have to press space to unlock) everything works like a charm
  afterwards. If not.. it will be the mess I described above

  hope it helps
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: gnome-shell 3.30.1-2ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
  Tags:  cosmic
  Uname: Linux 4.18.0-11-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to cosmic on 2018-10-19 (32 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True