With `journalctl -r`, the only thing I get when the screen starts
dimming and the nightlight is deactivated, is this line (username and
machine name not shown):

Jan 20 22:42:02 xxxxx-xxxxx gnome-screensav[4274]: Source ID 1654 was
not found when attempting to remove it

Hope this helps!

  Night light brakes when screen dims

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using the night light function in Budgie which is set to a
  temperature of 4000 and the schedule is set from sunset to sunrise.
  When my display dims after X minutes of inactivity the night light
  function breaks which results in a much blue-er screen. When I move my
  mouse the dimming effect dissapears but and the temperature and
  brightness of my screen go back to the default value as if the night
  light function isn't on. Disabling and enabling the night light
  function fixes the issue until my screen dims again.